Friday 20 January 2017

Mermaid in the Red Sea

From the Morning Post, 6th October 1819.

MERMAIDS. To the Editors.

SIR-- Having read in the Papers an account respecting the existence of the Mermaid copied from The Galway Advertiser, I take the liberty to submit to you the following fact, which, if you should consider it worth insertion, you may publish whenever you like:--

In the month of August, 1805, I was on board of a brig, on my voyage through the Red Sea, in latitude between 14 and 15 degrees, North, quite becalmed, in the centre of a gulf. On a morning, about eleven o'clock, I saw a whale at a little distance from us; and a short time after, I saw something about the size and shape of a coffin jumping just by our side, out of the water as high as nearly to the maintop, when, on its dropping down, I observed the lower part was like a dolphin, and the upper part, to my astonishment, was exactly of the form of a female's bust, composed of a head with long hair, dropping backwards, a fine and correct profile, and an elegantly prominent bosom; but I do not remember that I saw any arms or hands.

My anxiety and curiosity were of course warmly excited, till, to my full satisfaction, I saw her jumping again four or five times, on which opportunities I had the gratification to make ample observations. I considered her jumping out of the water to be occasioned by her being pursued by the whale I saw before. Now, Mr. Editor, I am very glad to find that this animal, the existence of which was doubted, has been found in this quarter of the globe, because when I related my story several times, my hearers were rather doubtful of the fact.

I have the honour to be, your humble Servant,
A.Salame.
Sept. 27, 1819.

From a book by Sabine Baring-Gould

No comments:

Post a Comment